NaNoWriMo Week 2: An Update


So, it's Week Two of NaNoWriMo and it's time to throw down a status update.  I went over 24,000 words, so that means I should be over halfway through by sometime tomorrow night.  I'm feeling pretty good about things.  No writing-derived depression, so far anyway.  And I've been on a roll lately, doubling my word count over the past three days.  Pretty awesome.

I've heard that writers are fairly narcissistic souls.  I can see why.  Three of the four NaNos I've participated in have included a stand-in for myself in the story.  Usually, my stand-in has been the protagonist.  I'm that self-absorbed.  This time, though, I've given myself broad-ranging permission to torture my stand-in.  And, damn, have I taken advantage.  Through the first half or so of my story, my poor protagonist has been chased by a junk yard dog, mistreated by an asshole concert merchandising guy, kidnapped by witches, and beaten up by a giant redneck hick.  And it's gonna get worse before it gets better.  There's still the emotional stuff to tackle.  But don't get too depressed, because (spoiler alert) he comes out of the story better than he went in. 

Comments

Popular Posts