Thrashbrowns v. Mouse House, Round 11

 The Mighty Ducks Trilogy (1992-1996)


The Story:

This trio of films tracks the rise of a Junior Hockey League team from a rag-tag group of rejects to world Goodwill Games champs to a freshman prep school squad trying to prove themselves. Along the way, coach Gordon Bombay matures from a narcissistic lawyer to a caring leader and molder of children. And sometimes some hockey games break out in the middle of everything. 

Has Thrashbrowns seen this? Why or why not?

These movies came out when I was in my most passionate anti-Disney mode of life and they looked like cutesy kid's shit, so I skipped them initially. More recently, I saw bits and pieces of the first movie here and there. I also saw the second half of D2 at my buddy Clifton's place. I hadn't previously seen anything from the third flick.

The Good:

The first movie hs its charms and some funny movements. I think it's about as good as a Disneyfied Bad News Bears knock-off can be. D2 cranks the cheese factor up to 11, but the kids have personality and are fun to watch. It's also impossible not to get stirred up by the movie's final match against the big, bad Icelanders. There are some laughs and Emilio Estevez is likable enough as Bombay to get behind him and worry when he starts to stray for the right path.




The Bad: 

Then there's the third flick. D3 is the textbook example of a sequel that probably shouldn't have been made. It's a  poorly structured carbon copy of  D2 that lacks that film's heart or emotionally stirring moments. On top of that, the final match between the Ducks and their school's varsity team feels like a huge step backward after the Ducks won a world championship. 

I know it's a movie studio law that every movie that makes money has to be turned into a trilogy but honestly, D3 could disappear completely and I'd never miss it. They should've stopped at D2.  

Does Thrashbrowns get why people love this so much?

I guess. The Ducks flicks are the kind of movies that help to form the foundations of cinematic identity for thousands and thousands of kids. Movies like these get kids interested in playing sports. Movies like these probably have a much greater legacy than we really realize.

Did Thrashbrowns like it?

Had I seen these flicks when I was like 10 years old or something like that, I'm sure I would've loved them. Seeing them now when I'm more cynical and dead-hearted, I still enjoyed the first two. I especially liked D2, as I appealed to my us-against-the-world sensibilities. D3 didn't do much for me. But I guess two out of three ain't bad.

Up next:

Finally sat through National Treasure, so I be posting that one in the next couple of days. Stay tuned.




Comments

Popular Posts