Little Everyday Life-Enriching Things I Can Do RIGHT NOW!!


The struggle continues. 

The big things I want, the big things I need, still seem so far away. So unattainable.

When the things you want most seem so far out of reach and you're so beat down that your hopes and dreams seem less like hopes and more like 500-ton anchors dragging you to the bottom of the ocean, it can be really easy to just say fuck it, give up and wait for death.

That actually sounds wonderful. To just stop trying. But that won't bring peace or fulfillment. I don't wanna wilt away to being a shell of a person. Or become a suicide statistic. And I've realized that even if the big things I need are out of reach, there are a lot of things I can do RIGHT NOW to make my life richer that I haven't been taking full advantage of. Doing these things could make me feel less empty and unfulfilled. It could even put me into a better headspace where attaining some of these things I want most is more of a possibility. 

So here are a few little things I can do right now, even though I'm a complete dumpster fire, even though I don't feel capable or strong. These are easy little things, but they can help so much.

Don't Starve Myself & Drink Plenty of Water: I have a bad habit of not eating breakfast or lunch. I'm not doing it as part of a diet. I just get busy and forget til my tummy gets really pissed at me. I get dehydrated a lot, too. No wonder I feel shitty all the time. Just getting on a regular eating schedule and drinking enough water would improve my life.

Go Outside: The older I get, the more I realize that humans weren't designed to spend all day indoors. Which sucks because my lifestyle has become very indoor-centric. But I've noticed that I feel a lot better on days I get outside than days I spend all day indoors staring at a screen. It seems like such a small thing that can make you feel more alive: go outside, feel the sun on my skin, get my hair tossed around by the wind, smell the air or get rained on. What's so hard about that?

Say "Hi" to Someone I Care About: The hermit instinct has been hitting me HARD lately. I've been losing people out of my life left and right. It's made me extremely hesitant to reach out to people, even people I know I'm cool with. Add to that the high percentage of people I reach out to and don't reach back, and you might understand my desire to withdraw from society. But even though I hate people, I need them. And for some reason, I feel more complete when people I care about know I care about them. Reaching out causes me a lot of anxiety. But I prefer anxious to crushing loneliness and emptiness.

Shut Out the Politics: The days I don't pay much attention to politics in this country are so much happier than the days that I do. Enough said.

Music. Just Music: I've come across nothing, and I mean nothing that lifts my spirits like listening to music I love.  Few things make me feel as accomplished as learning a cool riff or writing a piece of music I dig. More of this and less YouTube can only help me feel better.

Be Silly: I'm not sure how it happened, but for the past few years, I've become waaaay too fucking uptight. Too serious. Too afraid to embarrass myself. But I need to be myself, and I'm a fucking goofball. So I need to give myself permission to be me. Crack stupid jokes. Wear stupid things on my head. Let my goofy light shine! 

Take Some Time to Admire the Sky: If I ever need to feel at peace, all I need to do is watch the sunset and gaze up at the stars. Sometimes, I need to remind myself of my place in the universe. Remind myself that while I'm just a minuscule speck in the immensity of all creation, the universe is within me. That makes me mighty.



Comments

Popular Posts