Rediscovered Gems

 


The past few posts I've written have been a bit heavy so I thought this week, I'd do something a little more fun. Here it goes...

One thing that's changed since I started this latest attempt to quit drinking soda is that I've rediscovered my love of the music I grew up on. While I've taken plenty of time to jam to newer favorite bands and albums, most of my music-listening time has been committed to rock and metal from the 80s and early 90s. I'm falling in love with that shit all over again.

I don't really understand the psychological link between quitting soda and rediscovering my musical roots. Perhaps it's an attempt to replace the joy that's left my life via quitting soda with the comfort of past love. Whatever. Does it really fucking matter? 

What's obvious is that the old-school shit I used to jam is a lot more fun than my newer favorite bands. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun to hear Killswitch Engage tear into a big, beefy riff or to hear Gojira get heavier than plutonium. But the old-school shit isn't just fun to listen to, it's ABOUT fun. Song after song about partying and carrying on. A wine, women and song kind of thing. It just makes you feel awesome and it kicks ass as a soundtrack for long country drives.

Here are seven songs I forgot about and recently rediscovered. As Eddie Munson might say, THIS IS MUSIC!!

1. "Sentimental Street" by Night Ranger


 Night Ranger was my favorite band in 7th grade and a crucial stepping stone to me getting into metal. They wrote pop-style melodies and hooks but they had the flashy guitar goods, too. Brad Gillis briefly filled in with Ozzy Osbourne after Randy Rhoads passed away and Jeff Watson was no slouch either. I went with "Sentimental Street" because it puts me in a nostalgic mood. And cuz this chorus is so much fun to sing along with.

Also check out: Rumors in the Air, Don't Tell Me You Love Me, When You Close Your Eyes

2. "Scream Until You Like It" by W.A.S.P.


Nobody in rock or metal has a voice like Blackie Lawless. It's a banshee-like shriek but he's still able to carry a tune and he always flavors his delivery with a touch of sleaze. This mid-tempo grinder rides atop a simple yet massive riff and Blackie drives that melody so deep into your brain you can never get it out.

Also check out: L.O.V.E. Machine, Rebel in the F.D.G., I Wanna Be Somebody

3. "Superstitious" by Europe


Europe started as a straight-up metal band until they broke out big with their megahit, The Final Countdown. This tune kicked off their Out of This World album and with its huge, hooky chorus, shreddy guitar leads and Joey Tempest's melodic croon, it's the blueprint of how to put together a late-80s rock hit.

Also check out: Ready or Not, The Final Countdown, I'll Cry for You

4. "Don't Stop, Don't Go" by Heaven's Edge


These cats showed up on the scene just in time to watch 80s metal crumble and it's really a shame. I've always dug this tune. The guitars pack plenty of grunt, the tempo is great for headbanging and Mark Evan has a pretty cool voice with enough melody to woo the ladies and enough grit to not sound like a pansy while doing so.

Also check out: Anything else off their 1989 debut record

5. "Hee Bee Jee Bee Crush" by Kix


Kix sounds a bit like AC/DC on speed. They're bluesy, swaggering hard rockers but they can shift into a higher top gear that  AC/DC never had. The proof is in the pudding on their album, Hot Wire, which closes with this total banger. If you like screechy, Brian Johnson-style vocals with faster, harder-driving guitars, give this one a shot.

Also check out: Cold Blood, Midnight Dynamite, Piece of the Pie

6. "Battle Stations" by Winger


Winger got a raw deal. They brought a new level of virtuosity and musicianship to the 80s glam scene. I mean Kip Winger was a talented bassist, singer and songwriter and Reb Beach could set your eyebrows aflame with his solos. I've always had a soft spot for this jam, which was heard in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. Give these guys a chance and it'll all make sense.

Also check out: Madelaine, Easy Come Easy Go, Headed for a Heartbreak

7. "Rock on the Radio" by Firehouse


Another band that gets unfairly dumped on. I know because I've done plenty of dumping on them myself. But when this song popped up on me, I had to give them props. This here's a legit rocker with a truly infectious shout-along chorus. Just don't listen to it after like 9:30 pm unless you live alone. Cuz you'll have no choice bet to crank it!

Also check out: All She Wrote, Reach for the Sky, Can't Stop the Pain





Comments

Popular Posts