TBLhR Playlist #1



So, it's been a while since we've done anything fun on the blog. The past month or so has been pretty much entirely "Church sucks, churchy people suck and I'm gonna complain about it." It gets kinda old, you know?

I was trying to think up something I could do today that would just be fun and the thought occurred to me "playlist." But not just any playlist. A mission-specific playlist. Allow me to explain.

In my mission, listening to secular music was against the rules. While the specifics vary depending on the mission president, I believe that's a rule that applies in pretty much every mission. I dunno. Maybe it's changed. It's been a while since I paid attention. 

Ostensibly, the idea behind this rule is that secular music chases away the Holy Spirit. and causes you to lose focus on the Lord's work. That does make sense, though I have to say, it's just as hard to keep the Spirit with you or focus on building the kingdom when your brain is burning with rage because your companion keeps listening to the same shitty Mormon pop cassette over and over again.

Long story short: The music rule is one of the first rules I went out of my way to break. I was up in Seattle during the alt-rock 90s and there was a radio station called 107.1 The End that all of us apostate, rule-breaking missionaries jammed out to. Most of the stuff on this playlist is stuff I remember hearing on The End and hearing it again sends me right back to Seattle. I'll include YouTube links so you can listen if you're curious or if you're really craving a hit of mid-90s nostalgia.

And now, here's my Mission Hits playlist:

Stabbing Westward - What Do I Have to Do?

Possum Dixon - Emergency’s About to End

Foo Fighters - I’ll Stick Around

Lush - Ladykillers

President of the United States of America - Lump

Live - Lightning Crashes

Tracy Bonham - Mother Mother

Hum - Stars

Everclear - Santa Monica

Better Than Ezra - Good

The Murmurs - You Suck

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Cake - The Distance

Spacehog - In the Meantime

Weezer - The Good Life

No Doubt - Spiderwebs

The Toadies - Possum Kingdom 

Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome

Superdrag - Sucked Out

Alanis Morissette - Ironic

Goldfinger - Here in your Bedroom

Hagfish - Stamp

Nada Surf - Popular

L7 - Pretend We’re Dead

Meredith Brooks - Bitch

311 - Down

Butthole Surfers - Pepper

Rancid - Time Bomb

Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls

Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot

Fiona Apple - Criminal

Green Day - Walking Contradiction

Frente! - Open Up Your Heart and Let the Sun Shine In

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Alice in Chains - Over Now

And... I'm out. 

This was kinda fun, if I can think of another theme that works, maybe there'll be more TBLhR-related playlist goodness in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts