Haircut? Hell no!!

My hair is getting just a little bit outta control right about now.

I've never been a fan of haircuts.  I do enjoy having a woman run her fingers through my hair, but for most of my life, I've received haircuts from dudes.  Call it a lesson learned from my dad: Guys cut guys' hair better than women.  He never said that explicitly.  I just deduced that that's the way he felt from his actions.

Anyway, I've never liked getting my hair trimmed.  Usually that means I put as much time between haircuts as possible.  Like a minimum of six months.  My church mission was rough, since I had to keep my hair cut to a specified length.  As soon as I got home and left for film school, I let myself get super hairy.  Like a Sasquatch-worthy level of hirsute-ness.

Film school was also the first place I grew my beard out, and I learned I really dig having a bounteous booty of facial hair.  Maybe it's because of my viking DNA.  Maybe it's cuz I'm lazy and hate shaving.  Maybe it comes from some latent desire to be a lumberjack.  Whatever the reason, I like going bearded.  It suits me.

Problem is, I live in an environment that is unfriendly toward the hairy unshaven maniac look.   My dad perfectly reflects this attitude.  He's always ragging on me about my appearance and how local employers find hairy guys not worthy of hiring.  Like I should base how I feel about myself on the opinions of judgmental pricks that don't even know me.  I don't care if that is how it is around here.  It's wrong.  And I don't wanna play ball.

So, I'm under seemingly constant pressure to keep my hair trimmed up and my beard short.  Lately, though, I've realized that the hairier I am, the better I feel about myself.  I feel more capable, more confident, and more attractive.  I'm sure that's not the reality, The length of my hair has nothing to do with how good I am at my job or how smart I am.  But I honestly feel more comfortable in my own skin, more like the person I really am.  Maybe it's because I'm not bowing to anyone else's concepts of proper grooming.  I really have no idea, but I like it.

I last got a haircut back in January (I think).  But I don't conjure that I'll be receiving another one anytime in the near future.  I'm happy with how I look, with the exception of be a ginormous fat ass.  I've got nobody to impress.  I don't need to look Sunday best for church, and even if I was still going to church, I don't really think God gives a shit how long your hair is as long as you've got a good heart.  So, if you're offended by my Bigfoot-like hairiness, I suggest you refrain from telling me to get a haircut.  I certainly ain't gonna do it to please you.  And besides, that reveals more about your issues and attitudes than it says about me.

Comments

Popular Posts